Thursday, November 1, 2012

Morning on the Forest Floor


There is something special about night hiking. The focus is only as large and as intense as your headlamp allows.  Directly in front of your feet and only about 1-2 sq ft. Cool calm September nights filled only with the sounds of the breeze rattling the early autumn leaves, the night birds and the occasionally close run in with a skunk. When I got tired I found a flat enough spot to throw my sleeping pad and crash out. 
The sun breaking through the mostly green trees wakes me.  The trees block out the show in the sky, but sleeping out on the ground gives me the gift of the sunrise at ground level. 







Get on the ground and smell the dirt. See the world contained in a spot smaller than a single foot print. 








All photographs taken less than 24 inches (60 cm) off the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment