Monday, July 5, 2010

Roan highlands and not so highlands

I have a bunch of pictures that I've got to post, but they probably won't see the light of day. I've kinda neglected this blog for various reasons. I'm just going to post some pictures from a few trips around the Roan Highlands area. Starting with a short day hike up the Overmountain Victory Trail up Yellow Mtn. Its in the Hampton Recreational Area and the trail connects to the AT right near the Overmountain Shelter below the Hump Mtns.

















I've been working 6 days a week for the past few months and my last real 2 day weekend in April I went on a quick overnight hike from Carver's Gap intending on posting up on Big Hump for the night, but severe wind and running into some trail magic cut my trip short and I crashed for a cold night at Overmountain Shelter.









The Balds were coated in frost early morning as I hiked back to my car.



Frost covered Roan Hight Knob.

Recently after work on Saturday night I drove the truck up to Carvers Gap and got on the trail around 1am and headed for a few short miles to Grassy Ridge to find a spot for my bivy. Laid down around 2am and was up for the sunrise.


Grassy Ridge was pretty popular and luckily I just had a bivy so I didn't have to find a large enough spot when I slipped in at 2am.  I never saw any sign of life beyond the dozen or so tents. I caught the sunrise with some deer and we were all gone before any of these other hikers were up.






















No comments:

Post a Comment